Thursday, February 07, 2013

Jesus Sang



And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
--Matthew 26:30  (NKJV)

From the daily Bible reading on February 7, 2013 of Psalm 30; Matthew 26:6-30; Exodus 22-23.

This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.  I love to sing (or at least make a joyful noise) and have been doing so for as long as I can remember.  (My earliest memory of me belting out a tune is of me standing before all my relatives at a family reunion and giving forth a rousing rendition of that old classic, "I'm a Little Teapot, Short and Stout".  I couldn't have been much more than three at the time.)    And I especially love to sing praises to our God and our Lord and Savior Jesus.  Sometimes the tunes are very upbeat, happy and joyful.  Sometimes they are sad, sullen and sorrowful.  But they are all for the Lord's glory and they are all a very important part of my personal worship.  So I am heartened to read  where Matthew says that Jesus and His disciples sang a hymn after eating what would be their last meal together.  Jesus knew this would be the last hours He would be spending with His followers, His friends.  At dinner He told them about the horrible events to soon unfold, about how one of His friends would betray Him and another would deny Him.  He washed their feet and reminded them how they must serve just as He served, even unto death so the many could be set free.  The atmosphere was sad, solemn, but yet they sang.  Jesus sang!  I can just see Him standing there with His friends, with His arms on the shoulders of two beside Him, singing praises to God even as He was about to be put to death!  We don't know if it was a happy song or a sad song.  It is enough for me that Jesus sang.  Praise be to God!  Amen.

Wonderful Savior, blessed Jesus, thank you so very much for the image of You and Your disciples singing a hymn after dinner.  And not just any supper, but the last time you would be gathered with Your friends before Your great sacrifice on the cross.  By Your example, I know that no matter what circumstance or situation I may find myself in, I can still sing praises to You and our heavenly Father.  Thank You, Jesus!  In the name of Jesus I give thanks and pray.  Amen.

No comments: