Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Woe Is Me If I Do Not Preach


For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!
--1 Corinthians 9:16  (NKJV)

From the daily Bible reading on May 28, 2013 of Psalm 102:13-22; 1 Corinthians 9:1-23; 2 Samuel 12-13:22.

Paul never asked for nor received payment from any church he served, although he certainly upheld that ministers should be paid for their efforts.  He backed up this belief with logic, in that other workers are compensated for their labors, and with scripture, such as when Moses ordered, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain."  (Please see Deuteronomy 25:4 as cited in verse 9.)  But while he made these claims for others that tended the Lord's flocks, that their needs be seen to accordingly by those they served, Paul didn't want anyone, and apparently especially not the church in Corinth, to think he was asking for any payment of any kind.  For himself, he thought it would be like he was boasting, and that he simply did not want.

And that leads to the crux of today's focus verse.  Paul did not want anyone to think he was boasting in any manner about his service to Christ Jesus because from his viewpoint he had no choice in the matter.  He had to preach the Gospel!  The compulsion to do so was so great and pervasive he could not escape it.  To preach was an absolute necessity, as critical to his survival as breathing and probably more so than eating.  "Woe is me", he added for emphasis, "if I do not preach the gospel!"  He goes on to say (in verse 17) that if he serves willingly, he will be richly rewarded for his efforts.  But even if he does so unwillingly, he has still been entrusted by God with the responsibility of spreading the Gospel.  So either way, he has no choice.  He must preach, so there's no need to pay or even praise him for his efforts.

There are many aspects of Paul's life and walk that I can closely relate to.  For years he actively persecuted the church and worked against Christ and His teachings.  I may not have had anyone tossed into prison, but I sure teased many and made fun of their belief in Jesus.  After his conversion, Paul realized the enormous weight of his sins and called himself the greatest sinner of them all.  He could only say that because he never met me, truly the greatest sinner that ever lived and walked this earth.  Yet here I stand, forgiven by the glorious grace of God our Father and the selfless sacrifice on the cross of Jesus His Son.  But what makes me feel closest to Paul is contained right there in verse 16.  I have to preach the Gospel!  I must preach the Gospel!  I have no choice whatsoever but to preach the Gospel!  Since even before my ordination, nothing has been more important to me or of greater urgency than to preach and witness to the Good News of Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.  I pray that each of us who believe should feel this overwhelming need to witness for Jesus and spread the Good News throughout the land.  Amen.

Dearest Lord Jesus, You removed the scales from in front of my eyes and allowed me to see again, to see Your truth, the true life.  You poured out the old person I was and filled me with a burning desire to share all the goodness You have done in and for me with everyone I see.  Please, dear Jesus, touch everyone of Your  church the way You touched Paul and me, that they might feel Your glory and share in this wonderful delight of teaching the world of Your true story.  In Your beautiful name, O Jesus I pray.  Amen.

No comments: